- About Us
- Contact Us
- St. Alphonsa
The Franciscan Clarist Congregation of the Syro Malabar Rite is the second indigenous women religious congregation in India. It was the realization of the ardent desire and fervent Prayer of 8 pious women of the Franciscan Third Order from the Diocese of Palai who wanted to tread the lifestyle of St.Francis & St.Clare of Assisi. It was established on 14th December 1888 at Changanacherry. Then it branched out in to other Dioceses like Ernakulam and Thrissur and grew fast under the patronage of the Bishops of each diocese. In 1950 the Diocese of Palai was erected by bifurcation of the Diocese of Changanacherry and in 1952 a new shoot of the Congregation began to grow independently in the Diocese of Palai.
Acknowledging the exhortation of Second Vatican Council, steps were taken for the unification of the cvarious units of F.C.C. in different Dioceses. Under the efficient leadership of Mother Mary Leo who had been the Mother General of Palai from 1964 - 1970 and the Papal delegate Rev. Fr. Hippolitus Kunnumkal OFM Cap, late Bishop of Jemmu Kashmir, the unification of the congregation was realized on 10th October 1970 and Mother Maurus of Changanacherry became the first Superior General.
F.C.C. was raised to the Potifical Status on 1st March 1973. The earlier units in different dioceses became provinces and the administration of the provinces came under the PROVINCIAL Superior and her vteam. At the time of unification there only six provinces. Now we have 23 provinces and two regions.
As the members and institutions increased in number, Palai province cwas bifurcated giving birth to Alphonsa Jyothi Province Bharananganam. The province was inaugurated on 18th April 1989. Rev. Mother Benjamine was the first Provincial Superior of Alphonsa Jyothi Province with 27 houses and 485 members. At present we have 480 sisters in 37 houses.
Alphonsa Jyothi spread out in Germany in 1992, in the soil of South Africa in 1995, and in Italy in 2003.
We are blessed by the spiritual bonanza - St. Alphonsa. Born in Kudamaloor, brought up in Muttuchira. She entered the Clarist Convent Bharananganamon 24th May 1927 and died as a passion flower on 28th July 1946 at Bharananganam. She was beatified on 8th Feburary by H.H Pope John Paul II at Kottayam and canonized on 12th October 2008 by H.H Pope Benedict XVI in Rome. The Franciscan Clarist Convent Bharananganam stands as the earthly abode of a very Holy Life that exhilarates multitudes of pilgrims flowing to the place.
We bow our heads before God almighty for the innumerable blessings He has showered upon us.